What is the Eke Me-Xi Program?
Since September 1997, Eke Me-Xi Learning Centre has provided educational programs in the Gwa’sala-’Nakwaxda’xw community for secondary students from the Port Hardy area.
Eke Me-Xi offers individualized programs covering BC Secondary School core curriculum. At Eke Me-Xi, students work to achieve their specific educational goals in a program that suits their individual learning needs. The welcoming and family atmosphere at Eke Me-Xi encourages personal growth and responsibility for all students we serve. Our staff strive for students to excel and succeed in our school. It is our goal for students to also achieve a sense of self-worth, pride in their work, responsibility and integrity.
Our program is specially designed to apply beliefs about learning and learners in a cultural setting. In the spirit of working together, we provide an educational environment for students to engage in their learning and to participate in setting their own goals and dreams. We strive to achieve this through fostering positive family relationships, hosting open house events, including Role Models from our communities and implementing Kwak̓wala language and culture.
We serve students ages 15 – 25, towards achieving a Dogwood Diploma, Adult Dogwood Diploma or Evergreen Certificate (School Completion Certificate).
- Introductory Kwak’wala 11
- English First Peoples
- Math—Apprentice/Workplace 10/11
- Foundations 10 and Pre-Calculus Math 11
- Planning 10
- Career Education 8/9
- Social Justice 12
- Physical Education
- BC First Nations Studies 12
- Social Studies
- Foods and Nutrition
- Media Art
- Studio Art
- Grad Transitions 12
Eke Me-Xi features the following:
- Individualized secondary programs toward graduation
- Small class size
- Employment readiness and job skills
- An adult learning atmosphere where maturity develops
- Student choice
- Eke Me-Xi students may access many community and school based services, including academic tutoring, counselling and employment services.
- Modified and adapted courses available